Sunday, August 14, 2011

Hillhouse & Dickey Plantations of York, South Carolina

William Hillhouse (William of the Province of South Carolina) and brothers Samuel & Charles are by far the most illusive of the six children of John & Rachel Hillhouse of Free Hall estate in the county of Londonderry, Northern Ireland. The names are noted along side Abraham, James and John in a travel journal of William Hillhouse's (New Haven 1757-1833) visit to Ireland in 1789. Further information was noted about Abraham, the eldest who inherited Free Hall; Rev James, who seated the New England Branch in Connecticut in 1720; sister Rachel who married into the McCausland family still residing at Drenagh Estate in Northern Ireland. John, the fourth son was said to have descendants in England (the Bristol Branch).

Brother William Hillhouse is noted as the third son who "settled in the West Indies" and there our William's trail ends until 1755. The Hillhouse's of Londonderry were trade merchants whose prominence afforded social mobility and merchant networking. It would have been quite possible for William and his younger brothers to explore life in the rich Sugar plantations of the West Indies before sailing up the coast of North America to Pennsylvania sometime between 1730 and 1740. However the proof is, as of this date, lost to the ages.

It is in the historically rich counties of Chester and York, South Carolina that William Hillhouse and his son's Captain John, Captain William and James Hillhouse leave their mark. I spent a truly enlightening afternoon with the McCelvey Center's Mike Scoggins. He was kind enough to show me the location of William Jr's Plantation where Lord Cornwallis camped in 1781. It is believed that the buildings would have stood on the hilltop just above the Catawba River on Route 322 south of York. The historical marker for Lacey's Fort is just across the road. The old plantation land is now a tree farm where the buildings have long disappeared. click to complete story at HillhouseFamily.com

John Dickey Cabin - 1771

John Dickey was the father of Mary "Polly" Dickey who married
William Hillhouse Sr's son James, my 5th great grandfather.

10 comments:

  1. Welcome to genealogy blogging! I wish you great success with your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice blog!I do appreciate the great links. Looking forward to future posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jan, I'm glad Susan talked you into blogging. Welcome to her other world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too enjoy this blog. I'm looking for lineage for Poole family in Bristol. It is thought that Jane Poole had an illegitimate son called James Poole (later Taylor) to Robert Hillhouse,b 1786, grandson of James Martin Hillhouse, b. 1749, the Ship Builder in Bristol.

      Delete
    2. Do you have the book written about the Hilhouse ship builders of Bristol ?

      Delete
    3. I have some Hillhouse in my family also and they are black so I am sure these "people" had my family enslaved I am sure they had it very hard and suffered greatly I look up the names of my family and it always comes back to a European then I cry I am not all smiles and jumping with joy it is a sadness that runs deep

      Delete
  4. Welcome to geneablogging! I am anxious to read more about your Irish ancestry and southern roots.

    ReplyDelete
  5. James Martins first Dry Dock in Hotwells, in Bristol and it was called POOLE'S WHARF. James Poole/Taylor migrated in 1941 to Australia as an agent in a shipping company, perhaps the Bristol Steam Navigation Company. He settled in Morpeth on the Hunter River, New South Wales, and became an agent for Hunter Steam Navigation Company. Following his families footsteps he was a "Merchant" and imported shipments of fine wines and livestock for breeding for the new colony. He is included in the book of Pioneers.

    so any early POOLE information I would be grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is all that I can recommend.

    https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Hilhouse-Bristol-Shipbuilder-1749-1822/dp/190659368X

    ReplyDelete
  7. My Hillhouse family members came from S.C. also and came be found on the 1870 census but not before I have been told that is a telling sign that he was enslaved he was born 1815 the age of 55 in 1870.....

    ReplyDelete